VACUUMING TIPSRead up on how to vacuum the correct way.
Proper vacuuming is the most important step to keeping your carpet clean and in good shape. You probably knew that vacuuming kept your floors clean, but did you know it also can have the largest impact on the air you breathe? Your carpets can trap dust and allergens and release them everyone someone walks on your floor. Plus, by vacuuming up loose soil before it sinks deep into the carpet pile, you also help preserve the cushiness of your carpet. Vacuuming your carpets has tons of benefits, so it’s important to do it frequently and correctly.
How to Vacuum
On carpet, use slow, repetitive front-to-back motions in an overlapping sequence. A quick once over doesn’t do much to pick up dirt and allergens. On the other hand, don’t press down too hard or make too many passes over the same spot or you risk damaging your carpet. Instead, move slightly to the left or right about every four strokes. To get the most out of your vacuuming regime, remember these few easy tips:
- Don’t forget those corners and crevices where dust builds. There are attachments that help you get hard to reach crevices, so be sure to use them.
- “Top-down” cleaning saves you the step of vacuuming again after dusting. Dust blinds, windowsills, and furniture surfaces first and then vacuum away any fallen dust.
- Remember to remove and replace or empty vacuum bags when they are half to two-thirds full. Don’t risk your vacuum getting too full and leaking all over the carpets you just cleaned.
Understanding the Attachments
Attachments allow vacuums to do more than just clean carpets. They can tackle many other projects, such as cleaning bookshelves and other items that tend to collect dust. Your particular vacuum may feature some of the following attachments:
- The all-purpose or universal brush works well on books and shelves.
- The crevice tool (long and thin) reaches into narrow slots and corners.
- The dusting brush details items that need a softer touch.
- The radiator brush cleans radiators and narrow spaces.
- The upholstery nozzle is good for vacuuming chairs, sofas, cushions, drapes, mattresses, and fabric furniture covers.
As a rule of thumb, you should vacuum at least once a week with a CRI Seal of Approval/Green Label vacuum cleaner. However, the more foot traffic over your carpet, the more you need to vacuum. The general formula is:
- Vacuum daily in high-traffic or pet areas.
- Vacuum twice weekly in medium-traffic areas.
- Vacuum weekly in light-traffic areas, using attachments at carpet edges.
Vacuum Care Tips
For the best cleaning results, periodically inspect your vacuum to keep it in tiptop shape and functioning properly using these tips:
- Keep the instructions that came with your vacuum and refer to them periodically.
- Keep hoses and attachments free from obstructions. Most vacuums that are discarded as nonfunctional often are only clogged somewhere in the unit. Learn where these likely places are from the manufacturer’s instructions and make sure to clean them out.
- Grip the handle, not the hose.
- Keep brushes clean (for example, remove tangled hair) and replace them when worn. Typically, worn brushes are stiff, and they cause surface texture change on carpet.
- Empty containers or replace bags when half full to prevent spills.
- Look for rough edges or bent metal on your machine that can snag carpet.
Call in the Experts
Using these tips, there is a lot of carpet care that you can do on your own. However, just vacuuming isn’t enough to keep your carpet healthy. You should call in a professional cleaner like San Juan County Chem-Dry about every 6-12 months for best results!
We provide superior residential and commercial carpet and upholstery cleaning services throughout San Juan County, NM including: Farmington, Aztec, Bloomfield, Kirtland, Fruitland, Flora Vista, Shiprock, Waterflow, Blanco, Cedar Hill, La Plata, Lee Acres, Navajo Dam, Riverside & Upper Fruitland.
San Juan County Chem-Dry
Carpet, Upholstery, Area Rug, Tile Cleaning in Farmington, NM
Call for A Free Estimate:
Hours: Mon-Fri 8am-7pm